MIT Comparative Media Studies/Writing offers innovative programs that apply critical analysis, collaborative research, and design across a variety of media arts, forms, and practices.
We develop thinkers who understand the dynamics of media change and can apply their insights to contemporary problems. We cultivate practitioners, scholars, and artists who can work in multiple forms of contemporary media. Our students and research help shape the future as critical and visionary partners at a time of rapid transformation.
At CMS/W, we are devoted to understanding the ways that media technologies and their uses can enrich the lives of individuals locally, across the U.S., and globally.
In our unique approach to humanities, arts, and science writing education, CMS/W:
- Offers graduate and undergraduate degree programs centered on teamwork and research laboratories;
- Engages with media practices across historical periods, cultural settings, and methods in order to assess change, design new tools, and anticipate media developments;
- Supports a distinguished studio and workshop curriculum featuring the techniques and traditions of contemporary science writing, fiction, poetry, creative non-fiction, journalism, digital media, video, and games;
- Works with programs throughout MIT to draw on and enrich the Institute’s unique mix of intellectual and entrepreneurial talent;
- Cultivates a community of students, faculty, and staff devoted to the highest standards of scholarship and ethical practice;
- And extends its educational work into industry, the arts, and the public sphere by offering socially aware, critically informed expertise and events.
Edward Schiappa, John E. Burchard Professor of Humanities
Faculty and Academic Staff
- Total: 89
- Full Professors: 17
- Professors of the Practice: 2
- Associate Professors: 3
- Associate Professors of the Practice: 2
- Assistant Professors: 1
- Lecturers: 51
- Research Scientists: 3
- Visiting Scholars and Postdocs: 11
|CMS master’s students
||Science Writing master’s students
|CMS majors and minors
Writing majors and minors